Monday 9 May 2011

The Garden - Week One
























Fired up with enthusiasm after attending the Permaculture Garden Course at Shipka I have spent this first week back in Voditsa thinking and planning and trying to implement as many ideas as possible. As I mentioned in a previous post, back in March I had planted garlic, onions and leeks but during the following 6 weeks when we were in Israel most of it became obscured by a lush growth of weeds. Did I say weeds?! It turned out that quite a lot of it was deliciously tender sorrel which was enjoyed as salad greens or cooked with rice and lentils. Instead of getting rid of all the weeds I cut them down and used them as a mulch on the pathways between the beds which is helping to keep them clear of mud and further growth. I have noticed that a lot of wild hemp has sprung up in various parts of the garden- interestingly it is mostly where we had bonfires in the past or where I used to chuck out the ashes from the petchka and empty the chamber pot. By clearing the vegetable beds a little room has been made for new seeds: various flowers, tomatoes and radishes... and more tomatoes, peppers and aubergines have been sown in my mini makeshift greenhouse erected out of old window frames and panes of glass on the south-facing outside staircase. Our strawberry plants are in flower, and so too are the beautiful lilac bush and the apple tree. Bees are buzzing around and blue tits, jays and swallows pay regular visits. Spring is definitely in the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment