Sunday 23 May 2010

Just 6 Weeks To Go!

I can hardly believe that in just six weeks to the day we shall already be on our way. There is still a lot to get done but it's amazing how this trip has focussed us and what we have managed to achieve already. Dani is well on the way to closing down his business; repairing tools to be sold and getting stuck in with his mountain of paperwork which has always tended to get pushed aside. In the meantime I have had a mega sort-out of all our 'stuff'. I'm so glad that I started that process about six months in advance as it has enabled us to find appreciative homes for a lot of it. Having (between us) eight older children is a big advantage too as we are going to loan out some of our things to them for the year. This means that when we get back and need to start all over we shall have some of the basics such as furniture.
So, what's still on the 'to do' list?
  • The personal things like photos, letters, etc. still need sorting so that they can be packed and stored. I'm wondering if I have enough time to make personal memory boxes for the kids and give them each their own things now that they're grown up? That could well take up the whole six weeks though, and I have to wonder whether they would treasure them as I have done all these years.
  • There are also loads of files on my old computer (things I've written, photos taken, etc.) to go through before I give it away. Most is probably rubbish, but what if I deleted some gem by mistake? That looks like another big job.
  • I need to get Lielle's British passport sorted out.
  • Insurance: I seriously wonder if my current insurance policy is what I need and worth continuing with, plus we need to think about our travel health insurance. I could really use some guidance here.
  • I want to say goodbye properly to some of my best friends - need to arrange that.
  • I have decided to arrange a one-day 'Young Entrepreneurs' workshop for about a dozen girls on the first day of the school summer vacation just before we leave. This will also be a last opportunity for Lielle to spend time with her friends while hopefully making a little more pocket money for the trip. The idea of the workshop is to do arts and crafts, baking, etc. and then sell the produce at the end of the day after learning some of the basics of advertising and marketing. There will also be a second-hand stall where Lielle may be able to trade some of her last remaining toys and books that can't come with us.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Is everything ok? Where are you now...? The 2011 Activist Festival is in May, and it won't be the same w/o you!!!

    ReplyDelete